Tuesday, December 9, 2014

How I started my journaling Bible journey with only $2.

There are a few choices out there for journaling Bibles, like the ESV Wide Margin Journaling Bible, but we are a family on a strict budget.  Even a Bible doesn't warrant the extra money spent! 
In only a way that God can answer prayer; I found a wide margin Bible at the cheapest thrift store in town!  I spent 50 cents on it!  It's a brand new Cambridge Wide Margin NIV Bible.  I think it had been a wedding gift, because there was a couple's name engraved on the front. I covered it with a strip of ribbon and figure I will alter it later if needed.
It's kind of ironic.  The Bible I found at the thrift store is a very expensive alternative to the standard journaling Bible, but God has a very ironic sense of humor.  At least with me He seems to.  While at the thrift store, I found a Lutheran Hymnal and a David Jeremiah Devotional along with some other fun things to use for journaling or inspiration. 
On a previous trip I had bought Jesus And His Times, as well as These Were God's People, A Bible History.  Both have some interesting and vintage illustrations that I thought would do well as inspiration or to decoupage into my new Bible. 
These items from the thrift store along with my stash of journaling, scrapbooking, paper crafting, and stamping supplies have been more than enough to get me started.  I am a firm believer in using what you have and trying to thrift what you need when it comes to journaling and crafts.  It's a hobby.  It shouldn't have to affect the budget for more important things.  PLUS, the thrift store I go to is helping Veterans.  Who doesn't like a double whammy?!
Be blessed and have fun exploring your faith while honoring God!
Journaling Bible supplies that I found at the thrift store for less than $5.

A Lutheran Hymnal that I found at the thrift store to use for art journaling.

Using ribbon to cover an inscribed Cambridge Wide Margin Bible that will be used for journaling..

The first entry into my art journaling Bible.

Luke 1 and 2 in art journaling Bible with stamped tip outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment