Tuesday, October 27, 2015

fear is foolish

Way back in the old days, when there weren't any "Journaling Bibles" there were these things called composition books!  I began expressing my faith through art (besides coloring pages) in an altered composition book.  There was a whole learning period and then the second installment of my faith journals was created (below).   "Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs" was a little more organized and planned than the first faith journal.


 
After lots of experimenting and mistakes I was able to produce something I was proud of.  The process also helped to prepare me for art journaling directly in my Bible.  I found that slathering gesso, scraping paint with a gift card, decoupaging magazine clippings, and attaching anything else from the trash bin into my journal has been very freeing.  Freeing in the respect that I don't worry about what goes in and on my Bible pages.  Yes, I know it's a sacred book, but I also know that art journaling in my Bible has helped me to grow.  Grow in my relationship with Christ.  Grow in my relationship with my family.  And most importantly, grow in my willingness to reach others. 

Everyone has an opinion about how the Bible should be treated and used.  My opinion is somewhat relaxed in this area.  As long as someone is not destroying a Holy Bible in the name of hate or malice, shouldn't it be okay to color or draw in one?  With that said, I am sure that there are some misinterpretations that will go wild with this.  What's new?!

 
My point is...if you are feeling confined by the printing or too apprehensive to slather a big glob of paint into your Journaling Bible; then try a journal.  If nothing else, it's a place to experiment with mediums (paint, pencils, markers, etc.) or to make notes and draw your ideas while reading your Bible. 

Art is not a specific definition of any kind of expression.  Does that make sense?  It does to me, but maybe I should put it this way; making art is not an all-size-fits-one way of creating.  It's you, showing the world how you feel about something important, with colors and shapes and textures and whatever is visible or tangible!  Musicians, dancers, painters, chefs, performers; these are all referred to as artists, right?  Anyone who creates is an artist.  

God created us in His image.  CREATED!  Did you see that?  He CREATED us in HIS IMAGE.  So that might just mean that we are creative.  This came as an eye-opener to me when I first read it somewhere.  It might have been from Erwin McManus in Artisal Soul.  He put it this way, "We all need to create, to be a part of a process that brings to the world something beautiful, good, and true, in order to allow our souls to come to life."  My friend Brooke, also, told me about a verse in Exodus that affirms this notion; "I have filled him with the Spirit of God...in all kinds of craftsmanship, to make artistic designs..."

Don't worry or fear.  Create with a love for your Heavenly Father in mind.  Enjoy the process and be free.  I am excited to see what you are scribbling, splattering, or pasting in your Bible and journals.  Post some pictures on Instagram or Facebook or comment below.  Let's grow together and spread some love and paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment